Thoughts about words, capital-L Language, little-L languages, and other junk.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Learning Korean 7A: an update

In a recent post, I talked about how difficult the sentences in my Korean textbook are getting. Today, I went over some of them with my teacher, and it was, as usual, humbling.

This was the sentence I discussed in the previous post:

"There are plenty of people who are well-acquainted with proofreading work, but there are never enough who can do document editing well as well."

And this was my Korean translation:

교정하기에 밝는 사람이 많지만 문서를 잘 편집할 수 있는 사람 전혀 충부 안 해요.


And here it is with my errors marked:


교정하기에 밝 사람이 많지만 문서를 잘 편집할 수 있는 사람 전혀 해요. (But that last word would be better translated as 충분하지않아요 instead of the I-guess-it's-clunkier version with 안.)


The first error was in treating 밝다 (be well acquainted) as a verb, instead of an adjective. Then, I should have used the 은/는 topic marker on the second 사람 to mean something like "but these other people, in contrast." And then there was my handling of the negated form of 충분하다.


All in all, I translated that sentence... passably. Of course, it's just one sentence among millions. There's always more to say, more to practice, more to learn, more to improve. (Just ask Sisyphus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment