Thoughts about words, capital-L Language, little-L languages, and other junk.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Learning Korean 6: Relative Clauses and Insults

"You big hair-having, ugly shirt-wearing, too loud gum-chewing son of a bitch."

This is exactly how Korean relative clauses work. By which I mean, this is the word order of relative clauses in Korean. So every time I form relative clauses, first I have to translate what I want to say into that kind of swaggering throw-down, which makes relative clauses in Korean a joy.

"The man who chews his food too loud and wears ugly shirts" becomes, basically, "the too-loud-food-chewing, ugly-shirt-wearing man," and that's just cool.

음식을 너무 고성으로 씹는 추한 셔츠를 입는 남자

Actually, that might not be quite right, but my point stands. And if anyone reads this one day and wants to make something of it, they're nothing but a too-much-Korean-knowing, bad-tennis-playing, wet-paint-sitting fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment