Thoughts about words, capital-L Language, little-L languages, and other junk.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Learning Korean 5: Words that Sound Too Similar

There are a couple sets of words I have trouble keeping straight. They're just too similar-looking.

조용하다 joyonghada "to be quiet"
유명하다 yumyeonghada "to be famous"
유창하다 yuchanghada "to be fluent"
중요하다 jungyohada "to be important"
유행하다 yuhaenghada "to be trendy"

And the other set:

곱다 / 고와요 kopda / kowayo "be nice, kind, pretty"
굽다 / 구워요 kupda / kuweoyo "grill, broil"
춥다 / 추워요 chupda / chuweoyo "be cold"
좁다 / 좁아요 jopda / jobayo "be crowded, narrow"

There's something about these groups (and I'm sure the groups will grow as my vocabulary grows) I find challenging. Taken together, they just feel like blobs of the same sounds and strings of sounds tossed together in random combinations. Which, I mean, I guess they are, being words and everything.

I'd love to see troublesome groups of English words that give English learners difficulty. Anyone have anything like that?


No comments:

Post a Comment